South Africa – Mozambique – Zambia Joint Call for Research Proposals
2018 Call for 2019 - 2021 Joint Research Project Proposals
Opening Date: 15th August, 2018
Closing Date: 26th September, 2018
A maximum of 10 joint projects will be funded for this Call
Background and Context
The Call invites joint, trilateral research proposals from South Africa, Mozambique and Zambia to undertake 3-year collaborative research projects. The three countries seek to invest in the development of research and innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa, specifically in the SADC region through the establishment of partnerships involving research institutions in these respective countries. The collaborative research work aims at strengthening collaborations amongst institutions in the three countries, as well as promoting greater access to resources available across the borders.
Researchers are therefore invited to apply and are encouraged to collaborate with industry partners in order to allow them to design and formulate research proposals that are innovative and have a potential for commercialisation. The involvement of SMEs is therefore strongly recommended.
A multi-institutional/ consortia approach will be preferred. Participation of an industry partner on each side will be encouraged. However, industry is expected to meet their participation costs in the project.
- Marine Sciences/ Inland Fisheries
- Agriculture (Biosciences and food security)
- Renewable Energy
This Call aims to promote applied research in the above mentioned thematic areas for the benefit of society. The trilateral Call is founded on the principle of 'Science for Society' and aims to fund projects that will yield societal benefits and have the potential for commercialisation and contribute towards achieving the African agenda for the fourth industrialisation era.
The Call builds on existing research capabilities, natural resources and shared research interests in the three countries.
To this end, projects must provide significant value by:
- creating knowledge through world-class research in Africa on the above listed thematic areas;
- building and reinforcing sustainable research networks within the three (3) countries to accelerate the production and uptake of new knowledge fields; and
- promoting applied research with the objective of commercialising research to the benefit of society, to contribute to the fourth industrialisation era and address the AU Agenda 2063.
For more information, please download the complete guide.
The application form can be found here.